Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Commute


Listening to music during the commute, not just in your car but through headphones as you navigate the transit system, can be really magical. I do see why so many people own MP3 players. It’s soothing.

There is something to be said about light rail. As I was listening to Craig Cardiff while being rocked by the gentle motions of the O-Train that was taking me to work, I closed my eyes. And all of a sudden I was brought back to a different time and place. I let my mind go and I was on a train travelling from Lyon to Nice through pretty towns called Orange(read with French accent, please) and Avignon. The sun was shining. There was green grass and rolling hills. It was warm. The sky was blue. And I was being gently rocked towards the glistening blue-green sea. Even the O-Train announcements are done in a British accent in French and English. That definitely helps with the illusion. The music of Craig Cardiff is haunting and magical.

The announcement sounded above the music “Next stop, Carleton. Prochaine arret, Carleton” and I opened my eyes and was shocked to see snow and I was brought back.

2 comments:

Reuben said...

oh France... how we miss thee.

by the way, next chance we get - we are going to see craig cardiff.

Irene said...

bien sur!