Thursday, October 16, 2008

Squirrels do not belong in offices . . .


Just a few minutes ago, I was working away at my computer (ie. checking blogs) when all of a sudden I heard a scuffling noise and then a skittering noise. I froze. I couldn't bring myself to look around because I was so afraid I would see a little mouse staring at me ... ready to pounce ... mice attack people, you know. My colleagues leave their windows open all the time because they like the fresh air and have often talked about the mice visiting them to get out of the cold or to explore the various food items that might have been left out. We are on the ground floor. So, anyway, I finally got up the courage to look around when out of the corner of my eye I saw a black "thing". I stood up and there was a big, black SQUIRREL, with a long, bushy tail looking quite nervous and disoriented. I spoke loudly "Get out of here, you dumb squirrel" and "Don't come back now y'hear!!!" and as it scurried out into the hallway, I closed my door firmly and trembling walked back to my desk.


What to do, what to do. I knew my colleague was in her office down the hall so I quickly sent her an email telling her there was squirrel wandering the halls (she doesn't use her phone). And then after a few minutes, I cautiously opened my door and looked down the hall in apprehension. My colleague was walking down the hall so I said to her "There's a squirrel in here, eh?" and she said she had noticed it in the hall from the corner of her eye and went to investigate. By the way, she is a lover of all things rodent-sized and up. She even feeds the squirrels, chipmunks and ground hogs that roam our campus. So, she said she saw it go into an empty room so she went in after it and opened all the windows and gently maneuvered the squirrel towards them. Phew! Then she went on to tell me about how every once in a while 2 mice come in through her window to see if she has any food lying around and she'll feed them and then they'll be on their way. SHUDDER!! Hmmm...I wonder how the squirrel got in.

No comments: