Monday, September 08, 2008

A Post about Travelling

If you know me you know that I love to travel, I love to dream about travelling, I love to plan my travels (or someone elses) and I love to reminisce about travelling.

All this to say, we have some future travelling up our sleeves although I'm not sure we'll actually get to it as we've commited to purchasing a piano from a friend of ours. Yes, that's right, a piano. Maybe you know that I've been playing the piano my whole life. I'm not excellent but I get by and I do enjoy it. It was kind of hard not learning to play the piano in our family as my father is an organist and a pianist. I took lessons when I was 7 for a year and then just learned on my own. I don't love to play classical pieces, mostly I love to play singable tunes. Since moving out of my parents' home, I have become quite rusty but have still always dreamed of having a piano in my home. I know I'll never be a great concert pianist but that's ok because I still love making my little bit of music. I'm not sure where the piano is going to go but our friend tells us that we just have to bring the piano into our home and it will tell us where it should go.


Piano's are not cheap. We also need to buy a couple of new windows ... big bay windows. Anyway, we can still dream of travelling because that costs nothing.



Reuben and I have been talking about going to Madrid ever since his friend, Tim, moved there last year. After coming back from Barcelona, we realized we needed to go back to Spain so that we could see it more in depth. 2.5 days in Barcelona was not nearly enough time, especially since it was at the end of our trip and we were exhausted. Anyway, at the moment, Reuben is thinking of going in January. I desperately want to go and see Madrid as well but ... Reuben's plan is to sleep on the floor of his friend's appt and stay up all night partying with the locals where as my plan would be to stay in a nice, cozy hotel and get enough sleep to function during the day. I'm not sure our plans are compatible at the moment. I'd hate to be a party pooper but it would take all of my energy not to be.





There's a town on the north-eastern coast of Spain called San Sebastian. I've heard of it before but ever since Justin Rutledge came out with the song titled San Sebastian, I've been longing to go there. I'll have to type out the lyrics and post them sometime soon or better yet, find a link to the song so you can hear it. It's just beautiful.



Other travel dreams; my father (our gardener who just happens to be a world famous bio-chemist) received a wedding invitation from this guy whose getting married in San Francisco. Actually, the guy is a former student of his with whom he still keeps in touch. I've been to San Francisco before. Back in 2002. It is a grand place and Reuben wants to see it.



The date of the wedding is Nov 15 so it's kind of a good time to be going, shoulder season for travel, you know? But airline tickets keep going up. . .

Last night, we played this game called Ticket to Ride. It's fun but just looking at this map of the United States made me want to hop in the car and just go . . .sigh!

Other destinations: Scotland, Ireland, England, Holland, Italy, Austria, eastern Canada.

3 comments:

Reuben said...

you forgot about western canada. we want to do the smithers thing and go up to alaska right?

Irene said...

right....

Anonymous said...

There's always retirement...Freedom 55 baby, as your gardener would say.