Friday, May 05, 2006

The Ottawa Hospital

I am working at the hospital. Who would ever have guessed it? It's crazy where life (God) can take you. I am working in the HR department and further in Compensation and Classification. They deal with Job Descriptions and pay rates and try to keep track of all the different jobs at the hospital. They have a big challenge right now because the Civic Hospital just amalgamated with 2 other hospitals to form one Ottawa Hospital that has 3 campuses. So it's a big job to sort through everyone's job and make sure that everyone is being paid fairly. I think it's pretty interesting and had definitely never thought about the fact that this was going on. And is probably going on behind the scenes at a lot of major organizations.

At first when I heard that I was going to be at the hospital, I was a little bit apprehensive because I, like most people, do not enjoy hospitals and the thought of being around sick people sort makes me nervous because I do not know how to deal with it. But I'm actually across the street from the main building and no where near any patients. It's called the Clinical Studies building and it's really old and run down but they have run out of room elsewhere for offices. Apparently, the building was supposed to be demolished but they decided to keep it up because they odn't have money to build something to replace it right now. At first I was a little leary about it but it's not too bad once you get used to it.

The job is very undefined. What they really need is someone to be a data analyst. For now I'm just filing and organizing and photocopying and taking some time to learn their database. They have a permanent job posted and they are wondering if I want to apply for it. I just looked at the job description and I'm not sure if it's a job that I would want. The pay is very good so that is one incentive but I am just not sure if it's the right job for me.

Besides the job thing, it's my birthday this Sunday. Reuben is taking me to Montreal tomorrow. And my parents are hosting a bbq for me. It should be a good weekend. I guess I'm in my late twenties now but that doesn't really bother me. I think I'm pretty comfortable where I am and Reuben keeps me feeling young:)

Well, that's the excitement from my life right now.

No comments: