Thursday, February 19, 2009

Daily News

Well, my readers, I have begun a new job here at Carleton University. I am the Administrative Assistant to the Program Coordinator/Mentor at the newly formed Science Student Success Centre. This centre is designed to target Science students who are doing poorly in their studies during their first year at the University and to offer them guidance. Right now, I am waiting for my colleague to return from a Conference so I don't have a lot to do. Part of the job, though, is setting up a database which will contain all the student info and their grades in their first year Science courses. As some of you know, I did a lot of database work when I worked on Parliament Hill so I'm excited to get back into that a bit. My office is in the same hallway as my old one so while I am starting a new job, there won't be a huge amount of change which I am happy about. Working at the University has been really great so far and I'm really thankful that I can continue here.
As far as our house goes, we were in a lot of chaos in the last couple of days as we tried to get as much furniture out of the livingroom as possible. Our love seat ended up in the kitchen so that I couldn't get at my pots and pans or cutlery drawer. This was actually fine with me as I had a great excuse not to cook:) Andrew has finished two coats of mud but is now on a bit of a holiday so Reuben has arranged with him that he will come after school on Tuesday to finish the third coat. After that, we will be doing a lot of sanding and then priming!!! And then painting. So, for now, we've cleaned up a bit so that we can get upstairs more easily and my kitchen is more usable but by Tuesday it will all be chaotic again.
I'm also working on a pair of mittens for my niece, Hadassah...I finished one last night and should be able to do the other one tonight. After that, I plan to make a pair of fingerless mittens for myself...I just have to get to the yarn store.
And last but not least, the Broersma's are rolling into town tomorrow. Here's a picture preview from the last time we saw them.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That's what I need to do..."hire" some people to help with the work! We started painting our whole upstairs floor in July and are still not done! Yes, the one wall half done and the rest only one coat done. If we didn't have a wedding to attend or one of us or the children sick, we were too tired to start painting at 8pm and then have to put everything away and start up again the following evening! We're getting there! We'd like to be done before the end of February! 2 people doing the work is pretty tricky and the work can only be done after 8pm... I don't think I could handle major renovations!☺

Anonymous said...

Congratulations with the new job! Sounds exciting!
Can't you post some pictures of your chaos? I'd love to see the reason you can't cook!! :)
Lots of Love,
Jody

Sara said...

Hey does that mean you'll have to return the going away gift they gave you before you left for Spain...if you're kind of "coming back"?

Irene said...

it wasn't a going away gift, it was a "have a nice trip" gift.