Thursday, February 12, 2009

Construction and Knitting

As some of you have seen over on Reuben's blog, we have started some more renovations on our house. The last thing we did was put up a shed in the backyard. I really shouldn't say "we" as Reuben does most of the work. He had his dad's help though. Now we are starting a major project which requires our living room and dining room area to be uninhabitable for probably close to a month and if it's like any other renovation project it will be longer. We are replacing the ceiling (or covering up the ceiling with new drywall) and re-doing most of the tape joints (where the two pieces of drywall that make up a wall come together) with tape and drywall mud. Not only are we doing this in the living/dining area, Reuben feels that we should also redo the tape joints along the staircase and upstairs hallway.
I have been trying to help but it's hard work. It's kind of fun chipping away at old, dried up drywall mud but when you scrape your knuckles as I have already done a number of times, it's not so fun. I don't pretend to be any good at construction type work. I'm far too wimpy. The best thing I can do is make Reuben laugh because it's a frustrating process and he gets really serious about it.
We do have some help coming in. One of our friends from church is in University right now and has a Reading Week coming up. He grew up helping his father and grandfather in the drywalling business. We figured we could pay him a few bucks and have a semi-professional help get the job done better and quicker while staying within our budget.
Tonight, we are going to our friends' house for dinner. Church friends who recently moved here from BC. She is a certified Interior Designer and I'm bringing a couch cushion so we can talk color .. paint color. I'm so excited!!!!! I love dreaming about what colors we should paint our rooms. I love bold, rich, dark colors! I hope we can find something that will match nicely with our ugly teal couches. We will no longer have a stipple ceiling and I"m planning to have a hint of color in the ceiling paint as well which is also really exciting!
Anyway, so today the thing that brings me JOY is color and renovations! Seeing the good amongst all the drywall dust.
Oh yeah...and about the knitting. Yeah, not getting much done these days as I help with the deconstruction. I'm trying to get a pair of mitts done for next weekend when my sister comes down. I also wanted to have a pair of mitts done for Hadassah by then. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky! A designer friend -yay!
Can't WAIT to see updated photos of the place decked out in all sorts of vibrant colours! Hope you had fun choosing them!
Jody