Wednesday, May 21, 2008

News of our Garden

I've been dreaming about having herbs again. If you can remember when we lived in our appartment, I tried to grow herbs and they just withered and died. Probably because I neglected to water them and also because they didn't get any sun. These herbs I got from Lydia and they are doing remarkably well. I have already trimmed the chives and frozen them in an ice cube tray. There is also thyme (the tall prickly looking one), mint (shorter, darker green one) and oregano. I also got some lovage from Lydia. It's planted elsewhere but is also doing fantastic. Lovage smells like Maggi (the stuff Dutch people use to flavour tomato soup). I haven't picked any yet. I actually haven't used any of the herbs yet but I will.This is the cedar hedge that Reuben and Eric (new friend of ours) planted a couple weekends ago. It makes our backyard look much more finished and green.

These are the other perennials we got from Lydia's family. There is a clump of Shasta daisies, some lilies in the front there and some other stuff that I can't remember what's it's called but it's all doing quite well. This is on the side of our house where we get tons and tons of sunlight and with the rainy weather we've been having lately, the plants are loving it. Against the house you can see our rose bush/vine that was here when we moved in. It had grown up to the kitchen window but didn't seem to be doing so well so I pruned it right back. Hopefully, it will rejuvinate. Also you can see the huge clump of rhubarb against the house. It's still growing and producing, which is great!


No comments: