Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What's for Dinner? Monday Night

I thought I'd do a little series on what I make for dinner and whether we'd like to have it again in the future since I'm always experimenting.

Last night, I made Honey-Lime Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato.  I had to make some substitutions because there were some things that I didn't have in the house.

Honey - I used pancake syrup
Corn - I didn't put in as much corn as they called for because I only had a frozen package of mixed veggies.  I separated the corn from the rest of the veggies but the amount was only about half of what I needed.
Sweet potato -  I bought yams.  I'm not sure if there is a difference between yams and sweet potatoes but they sure were sweet.
Monterey Jack cheese - I used cheddar since that's what I had

All in all, it was a pretty easy recipe, although it took quite a lot longer than expected to cook my yams in the oven.  I also halved the recipe and I had about a cup of stuffing leftover.  I really liked the stuffing on it's own when I taste-tested it.  It also tasted good with the melted cheese on it but as I was eating it there was something not quite right about it.  I don't know what it was but I could hardly finish it.  I think it was too sweet with too many heavy ingredients.  Afterwards, Reuben and I both thought we should feel fuller but we ended up having popcorn and hot chocolate just to fill our empty-feeling stomachs.

I probably won't make it again.

No comments: