Friday, August 08, 2008

My Winnipeg trip

You are probably wondering how the trip went since I posted last week that I was heading out to Winnipeg for Lorien's wedding. In summary, it was a good trip. I left on Wednesday afternoon with a stopover in Toronto for 2 hours. Both of my flights went well with only minor turbulence. We had individual TVs to watch with tons of selection from movies and TV shows. I decided to watch a light hearted movie called "Horton Hears a Who" based on the Dr. Seuss book of the same name. When I arrived Aunt Liz, Uncle Rick and Marjorie were there to greet me and bring me to their house.

On Thursday, Lorien dropped off some glass candle holders for me to put ribbon on and otherwise I didn't see her until the BBQ later that evening. It was a nice little job for Marjorie and I to do. Otherwise, I pretty much read my book all day which was great! That evening the Kammingas hosted a BBQ for those involved in the wedding to meet eachother. We met at a park and had some fantastic food and fellowship. And then the mosquitos came out. I had always defended Winnipeg against those who dissed it because of the mosquitos because I didn't think it could be that bad. Well, I've since changed my thinking. The swarms of mosquitos were unbelievable and eventually, I overcame my distate of bugspray and slathered myself with it. Also, interesting was the increase in dragonflys as they came to eat the mosquitos.

When we arrived home from the BBQ Karin, Josh and Elyssa were just arriving as well. They had had a good flight except for a slight delay.

On Friday morning, Karin and I picked up Anne-Marie and Lorien and went to Cora's for breakfast and then to a Spa to have manicures. Unfortunately, we were a little late getting to Cora's so that by the time we got our food, we had to leave. I also had one of my really bad headaches and couldn't eat because it was making me soooo nauseous. Thankfully, by the time we got to the manicure place my headache was getting better. I had waited too long to take an Advil because I wanted to take it with food. Our manicures were lovely and we had a nice time!

That afternoon we helped to decorate the hall a bit and then joined George and Dora van Popta at my Aunt and Uncle's place for dinner and then headed to the church for the rehearsal.

On Saturday, the Wedding Day, we woke up to stormy skies, wind and rain. We got our hair and make up done and the wedding started without too much delay. Lorien was beautiful! And the ceremony went off with out a hitch (except that they got hitched!:)). Afterwards, we went to a park/golf course to have pictures taken. It was still cool, windy and rainy but no torrential downpours so we made do.


Elyssa was a very good girl but it was a long and tiring day for her as well.

Here are Lorien and Chad at their reception. What a great time that was! Lots of stories and memories were shared. Such love filled the room. I'm so glad I could've been there!


We were in bed by midnight, which wasn't too bad and got to sleep in till nine o'clock. Although, we were quite exhausted the whole day on Sunday. It was a nice, quiet day with two wonderful sermons by Lorien's dad at Grace Canadian Reformed Church.

On Monday, Karin and I showed Josh and Elyssa the area in Winnipeg called the Forks, which has a great market place and a path along the river.
The plane ride home was fairly turbulent but I was just glad to be heading home to my Reuben.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

im just stunned that there is another girl called Lorien in winnipeg. I'm a Lorien in winnipeg. crazy!

Irene said...

no way! how did you find my blog?

Anonymous said...

Very nice post Irene!
And...you look GREAT in shimmery chocolate brown!
Can't wait to see you!
Jody