Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Camera Obscura

So I had this big plan to buy Reuben a Digital SLR camera for his birthday because our camera is getting dated and he is always trying to get the best out of it, always fiddling with the settings and tripods and lighting, etc. I did lots of reading and research. I checked people's blogs who wrote about what camera they had and whether they liked it or not. I learned more about cameras than I ever have before and hopefully, I'll retain some of that information. So, Reuben's birthday is in two weeks and I was going to wait till the last possible day to buy so we'd have the longest possible time to return it if we he didn't like it. Well, last weekend our camera broke. I pulled it out of my bag and the display screen had a crack in it and the screen was blank. I didn't say anything to him about getting a new one but on Monday he sends me an email saying "check out this camera, I think we should buy it". My whole plot was sunk! Maybe it's a good thing though because it turns out that he doesn't really want a digital SLR because they are so big and heavy. These are the cameras I had picked out.

Nikon D60
Sony A200
And this is the camera Reuben picked out.
Panasonic TX5 (this is a picture of the TX3)
Any tips, advice or thoughts??



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in the SLR camp. The point-and-shoots are useless for long range shots.
I'd go with Chris Vpt's camera, the Canon Xti. They've come waaay down in price.

Reuben said...

thanks Fred but I still think versatility trumps the quality of an SLR. what is the point of having that perfect camera if you avoid using it b/c of its size and awkwardness. i like having my camera with me all the time.

Anonymous said...

In my case, when I used my analog SLR, I don't think the size inhibited my using it. Definitely lugging a case around vs a little camera has its inconvenience factor but for the money shots, SLR is the way to go. My $0.02 for what it is worth.

Laura said...

I ended up getting the TZ4, not sure how it differs from yours, but so far I LOVE it!