Thursday, June 15, 2006

Camping - UGH

Ok, so we went camping. My family doesn't camp. I've been camping maybe 3 times in my life and each time it's been so frigidly cold I said I'd never do it again. I guess my parents never camped because they never camped as kids. Well, anyway, they just aren't the type to think that it's an adventure. I guess that's why I have the same mentality.

Well, Karin and Josh have been going camping with their group of friends for the past 3 or 4 summers and this time they invited Reuben and I along. We thought it might be fun to hang out with these people and get some camping in. Reuben grew up camping every summer. He loves it, he's used to it.

The weather didn't promise to be very good and we just about canceled. At the last minute we decided to stick it out and go anyway. Even though as we were packing the car, it was pouring rain and 10 degrees. I was trying to be brave and stick it out for Reuben's sake.

The weather didn't get any better. Our air mattress didn't stay inflated. We couldn't go swimming cause it was too cold. We sort of wished we knew our fellow campers a little bit better as it would have made for better bonding.

The good things about the weekend (because I hate to complain about the whole thing) was that sitting around a fire really is very enjoyable (if you don't get smoked out). And hearing rain on your tent is quite soothing.

We nearly went home Sat night. It started raining again and I had just about enough of being dirty, cold and uncomfortable. I can't imagine camping for a whole week!!! But we toughed it out and stayed overnight.

We're scheduled to go camping with Reuben's family in July. What should I do? Any tips to make it more enjoyable.

1 comment:

joel muiS said...

ummm... beer and poker. That's what I do anyways...